Shawangunk Mountains Scenic Byway
…it’s beautiful here.
Enjoy a wonderful scenic drive through our mountains and rural countryside just 90 miles north of New York City. The byway encircles the northern Shawangunk Mountains and travels through the beautiful Rondout and Wallkill valleys, linking communities that have a common relationship to the northern Shawangunks and forming a distinct region of the state with its own special character.
Each segment of our 88-mile New York State byway offers:
- awesome scenic vistas of farmlands and mountains
- outdoor recreation of all kinds for all seasons
- access to over 30,000 acres of nature preserves
- historic sites dating to early Dutch settlements
- shopping, dining, lodging and much more to explore
Management of the byway is by the Shawangunk Mountains Regional Partnership. Our leadership is the chief elected official or duly appointed representative of each of our nine towns and two villages along the byway.